Sunday, July 4, 2010

Music (feedback encouraged)

I feel like everything that has happened over the last couple of weeks can more or less be summed up by things related to music that I've dealt with. First, the incredible:

My friend, Marshall FREAKING West, got on stage and sang with Relient K. The best thing about that happening was the fact that it was perhaps simply the icing on the most epic cake of a day that has ever existed. Started off leaving Brandon around noon, and when we hit Tuscaloosa (a city I absolutely despise except for one thing...) we stopped at a record store so Marshall and Matt could check out some vinyls. Lake and I decided that since we were the fat guys and we were hungry, we should definitely eat, and when you are hungry in Tuscaloosa there is only one option - Dreamland. So we did it. It was epic, and it was capped off with free banana pudding. Seriously, what's better than banana pudding? Especially really good banana pudding you didn't pay for? I can think of one thing, but I'm saving that for marriage. So I'm going with best thing in my single, v-card carrying life. Then we headed off to Alabama Adventures, the worst theme park in America, to catch Relient K. We rolled up and realized we were pretty far back in line, so a plan was devised. The four of us were to stand near the merch table until the doors opened, then we'd just walk in. In the process of doing this, we wound up on the front row. Like THE front row. Marshall decided that he wanted to get on stage and sing, so he made a sign saying "please let me sing with you." Pretty much the whole show he got ignored until the final song when Matt Thiessen walked over and stuck the mic in his face. Epic win, right? It gets better, hold on. The band runs off the stage, people chant for an encore, and the guitarist comes up to us and grabs Marshall off the front row and tells him he's singing on "Sadie Hawkins Dance" because Thiessen didn't feel like singing anymore. So Marshall did it. To say we were going nuts is the greatest understatement in the history of understatements. Even a week later, we're all still a little ecstatic. Unbelievable experience, and as if I didn't already love Relient K enough,they assured that day they'd have at least one fan for life.

Now, this is the part where I want some feedback. I realize I probably care about theology way more than most people, which is fine. I also realize I love hymns more than most people (and this article is a good example of why we still need hymns) but my question is this. Does it matter what the writer of a song believes if the song is sung at church? For example, if a song written by a group that denies the existence of the Trinity and denies the doctrine of justification by faith alone, should we just say "well the words are pretty and it builds up to a great worship moment", should we throw it out because it's false teaching, or...should we do something else? I ask this question because I was reading up on Philips, Craig & Dean the other day and they believe some pretty weird things. Particularly being the two mentioned like a sentence before. To me, it's a pretty significant issue.

It goes like this: these guys are all pastors/music pastors at Oneness Pentecostal churches. Oneness Pentecostals believe that God is one being that at different times manifests himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each being temporary and limited in existence. I (and most mainline denominations) believe that The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are three separate, equal beings that make up God. It's tricky. But I believe scripture backs up the view of the Trinity. Just as one example, John 14:16-17 features Jesus (son) talking about asking his Father (father) to send the Helper (Holy Spirit), which implies that all three are in existence, and that each member is not just God in different manifestations as Oneness Pentecostals suggest. Also, how could three manifestations of the same thing interact with another manifestation of the same thing the same way the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit interact with one another? They also call the belief in the Trinity "polytheism". Interesting.

Now, I can admit that the doctrine of the Trinity is confusing. I don't fully understand it, but based on what I can see in Scripture and what a lot of people I respect have talked about and written, I can accept it. It's pretty vital to what we believe about God, and what you believe about God determines how you act towards him.

That said, it's still a tricky subject. The next one isn't.

I don't see any room in the Gospel, period, for anything other than faith alone. Oneness Pentecostalism, however, doesn't buy it. They believe that you have to a. accept Christ, b. get baptized, and c. speak in tongues. Not only that, but if you baptize in the name of the "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit", you're doing it wrong. Water baptism is ONLY to be performed in the name of Jesus. Then you have the spirit baptism in the Holy Spirit, which involves speaking in tongues.

Paul wrote about that kind of stuff a lot. He talks again and again about how salvation is only linked to Christ's death - not to those other things. Baptism is simply symbolic. Whether you go for covenant baptism (yay!) or believer's baptism, it is not the act that contributes to salvation. Ephesians 2:8-9 says that we are saved by faith, not works, so that no one can boast. There are tons of other verses on it.

So, with all of that said, my question is this: should we be concerned with their beliefs? Because I'm concerned with what we are saying if we just go along with this stuff. I mean, at what point does stuff become so contradictory to scripture that it isn't Christian anymore? I don't want to accuse anyone of anything because I haven't done exhaustive research on Oneness Pentecostalism (actually I just read this article).

I just feel like in our postmodern society, we need to be focusing a lot more on doctrine and affirming right teaching because it is a time where everything comes into question.

Gah I don't know if this made any sense at all...it's kind of confusing to me and I've been mulling it over for a while. Also, I'm sleepy. So I quit for now.

Nite,
<3 chanchan

4 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, how's it going Chandler my boat-dock man? Haven't talked to you in too long.

I think you hit upon a really interesting topic about the difference between someone's work and the person them-self. This doesn't have to be restricted to songs either.. Take an example such as Ernest Hemmingway. Nobel prize winner, and great American Novelist also an alcoholic who committed suicide. The question is do these things take away from his masterpieces?

I think for your situation it matters a lot more about what message people will take away from the song than from the artist. Which seems obvious, you're not going to play songs that are anti-christian or generally anger filled etc. But I think that there isn't anything wrong with recognizing someone for a beautiful piece of music.

And the great thing is everyone takes something different away from music, a book, or any experience depending on that person, their own past, and so many other factors. To try and control experiences based on the character of an artist seems a bit over-extending in my opinion.

chandler said...

kbear...dude...there is not a day that goes by that i don't think about sitting out there on the outer dock just being amazed at creation and falling asleep in the boats on rainy days. great memories.

and, in case i wasn't clear, i meant as it specifically pertains to worship within the church. the example i have come up with is matisyahu's "king without a crown" which is a fantastic song that says a lot of good things about god, but it's not really church appropriate because he doesn't believe in christ.

i think we, as christians, need to be the first to recognize a beautiful piece of music because music is such a gift from god. we just don't need to be recognizing music for being beautiful in a church setting, you know? that's the question i'm struggling with right now.

Unknown said...

Even tho it was early, those morning ski times hold some of my best memories. Waking up before most people, it was surprising how peaceful that place could be. The water was looking like glass with morning light shining down makes everything look a little different.

It would be incredible to do malibu beyond. Hike for a week within that majestic place, and views. I can't even imagine how that area must look from up high on the mountains. Gorgeous.

As far as the church setting thing, I think that depends entirely on your church setting and your community. Hope you figure it out and feel good about it when you do.

It was good hearing from ya man, that month feels wayy too long ago.

Unknown said...

Even though it was early, morning ski times hold some of my best memories up there. Waking up hours before everyone else, it was amazing how peaceful that place could get. The water looked like glass, the morning light illuminating the landscape just a little bit more crisply than the afternoon sun. And my boat slicing through the silence.

Well at this point I really think that the answer to your question isn't going to come from outside sources. It's gonna be from you're personal church setting and its community.

It was good hearing from ya man, that month feels wayy too long ago.