Saturday, July 4, 2009

It's Been A While...

I've been thinking for a while I needed to update this thing. Every so often, a profound thought will hit and I'll be like "oh, I should write about this" and then I just don't. But today, on Independence Day, I've actually got some free time for the first time in a while so I figured why not.

Quick recap - working 2 jobs. One at a place called MulchEZ, the other at Lovelady Property Management. I don't do a whole lot at either one so it's pretty cool. Moving into a new house here pretty soon. Got a dog.

OK, that's the basic stuff. Lately, though, I've found my relationship with Christ to be perhaps the healthiest it has ever been. As I look back over the year that was, and I'm using last July 4th as a reference, I can see how several experiences I've had have prepared me for the current situation I'm in. And several verses have been playing through in my mind over and over again. The first has been a recurring theme for me:

Jeremiah 29:11-14:
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me. When you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you, declares the LORD...

This just rings so true in my life right now. A year ago, when I was crushed to find out I wasn't going to get to move to Washington, when I was in the middle of some situations that really sucked, and when I was maybe as depressed and sad as I've ever been, God knew the plans he had for me and he has been so faithful to help me realize that. And that leads into the next verse I've been thinking about a lot:

Phillipians 1:6:
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

I think about this verse in the context of the last 6 years. It's unbelievable to think that I'm still here, in Oxford, after all this time, it's unbelievable to look back at the work God has done in Oxford, and it's unbelievable to think that he would have chosen me to do a lot of it. Whether it has been through Young Life or just my personal life, I can honestly say that nothing is the same as when I came in as a freshman in 2003, and it has nothing to do with anything I did. A lot of this is just now starting to settle in, because for the first time I have a definite end point for my tenure in Oxford - May 2010. My lease is up and I'm moving on. I don't know where yet, but I feel like the Oxford chapter of my life is coming to a close. In the past, I probably would have freaked out about leaving and moving on, but God has proven himself trustworthy time and again over these last 6-7 years and I have no doubt that He will do it again.

Finally, I feel like I want to list out the music I've been listening to lately because I can't remember a time I was more into music than I am right now, both playing and listening:

Act Of Congress
The Avett Brothers
Blitzen Trapper
Fleet Foxes
Five Iron Frenzy (as always...)
Old Crow Medicine Show

Anyways, that's all for now. I'll probably write again in like 3 months and I'll be the only person to read it again, but hey, I like writing!

-Chandler

No comments: