Friday, July 8, 2011

On Being A Hater, Pt. 2

I love that title. "On Being A Hater." So good. I should just change the name of this blog to that. But I won't, because it's probably already taken.

But the last time I wrote, I tried to clear up my stance (well, maybe not MY stance, but the stance of someone I agree completely with) on technology in the church. It's the second time I've written on such an issue, but to sum it up, I have no problem with technology in the church. I have a problem with wasteful spending on technology (or anything else) in the church and I have a problem with unnecessary (that is a difficult word to spell) spending in the church. Just like I have that issue with government or Ole Miss athletics or...anything. And it's a simple principle - be wise with what you've been blessed with. Are there absolutely no other needs in your church body? OK, buy that 26th flat screen TV. But if that money can be spent elsewhere, elsewhere it is needed, I believe it is the responsibility of the church and the pastoral staff (and elders, which I happen to believe are necessary for a church to function right, though that's another topic) especially to tend to those.

Please hear me - technology is not bad. I enjoy technology. It's a wonderful thing. But don't fall in love with it. It's just like in my life...I get a new phone because I need it. I have never gone out and gotten a phone I didn't need (previous one broke, changed providers, etc.).

So that's that.

The next issue is that of performance. I think I touched on that a little in my last post too (I might not have) but I want to expound on my views there a little more clearly, because again, I'm afraid what I feel about this has been misrepresented.

First off, a few things I'm not saying. I'm not hung up on style. I don't think that because you play an electric guitar in church you're being inherently flashy. I think you're just playing an electric guitar. I don't think that because you play an organ in church you're inherently doing it right. I think you're just playing an organ in church. I think somebody can be a very humble guitar player and a very flashy organist. And vice versa. I also don't think special music, special music nights, and special presentations in services are inherently bad. Meaning, none of these things are bad in and of themselves. I mean, shoot, I've spent some time playing lead guitar in a Sunday morning worship band. So I'm either misunderstood or a major hypocrite (likely both though, if I'm going to be honest about it).

So...what's the point of this? There are people that think I'm anti-everything. I'm not. I'm a huge fan of big choirs. I'm a huge fan of a band that sounds great and does a good job leading worship (again...I'd rather listen to Indelible Grace or Red Mountain Church than Hillsong, but that's another story). There's nothing wrong with that. What I think IS wrong is when worship becomes about a performance. What I think is wrong is when worship becomes all about us.

I guess the question, then, is how do you define that? How do you definitively say "that was a genuine worship service" or "that was a performance"? Maybe you can't. But I'd ask the question...who is the attention centered on? Is it on the soloist? Is it on the guitar player? The drummer? Or Christ?

See, I don't think you can compare a worship service to a movie or a concert. I expect a movie or concerts to be good because I understand a few things about them:

First, I spent good money to go there. Movies are dang near $10 now (which doesn't seem all that much, I guess, but I remember when they were $5.) I mean, I go to a movie...get a ticket, get popcorn and a drink, that's like $25. Maybe more. Concerts are more expensive. I paid $26 to see the Avett Brothers at the Lyric and that was just to get in. Nevermind the fact drinks were expensive too. Our resources are limited, and if we're going to spend them on things to be entertained, we want to know they're going to be of the best quality. I'd pay a bunch of money to see the Civil Wars play again, because it was a phenomenal concert. I wouldn't pay anything to see Soulja Boy again, because he was terrible and put on an awful show. So I guess for point 1, "It's the economy, stupid". Not that anyone that disagrees with me is stupid, that's just the quote.

Second, movies are fake. When you see a scene in a movie, they probably filmed that take tons of times.

Third, a concert IS a performance. I have no problem with a performance if that's what it's called. I have a problem with a performance if it's called a worship service. A performance is meant to draw attention to the performer, a worship service is meant to draw attention to the Father. Pretty simple. Part of why I like Old Crow Medicine Show, the Avett Brothers, the Civil Wars, etc, is the fact that they put on great performances. It's about THEIR music, and that's fine.

I mean, shoot, if your church has talented singers, let 'em sing. If your church has great songwriters, let 'em write and sing. Have a special music night. What's wrong with those things? I don't think anybody thinks there's anything wrong with that. But worship isn't perfect! Sometimes the music will be out of key. Sometimes someone will mess up the words. To me, it just serves as a reminder we're human but God still loves us anyway. It serves as a reminder that, just like in our every day lives, we're going to stumble. And I think when you take that out of worship, you miss something special. Something almost organic.

But the problem is like the story that got cited out of Elevation Church. I know I harped on that in the last post, but I'll do it again, because what they pulled was inexcusable. And then when the story said church staffers said Elevation did "worship, not ministry," it got even worse. That's ridiculous!

Also, the problem is when people do things that do draw attention to individuals. I love guitar solos. But when I'm driving down the street listening to music and I hear a guitar solo, I don't think "MAN...PRAISE GOD THIS GUITAR SOLO IS REALLY SPEAKING TO ME." I think "man that dude can shred. I wish I could do that." My attention is focused on the guitar player and him playing, not what he's singing about or whatever. Or in a song where everyone is singing and the soloists sing the verses. We're there to participate, not listen to you sing. At least I am.

Look, talent and technology have a great place in church. We should embrace them. We should not make them the object of our desire. That's what I have a problem with. And everything in the church should have a specific reason that serves a kingdom purpose. Not just a TV that looks good on TV. Not just a soloist because she (or he) won last season of American Idol.

I have no problem whatsoever with these things if they serve a valid purpose. Which can also be tied back to the fact I think all churches should have elders and open communication with the decision makers.

Anyway, I hope this made sense. I'm fading fast (5 hours of sleep last night and like 4 the night before...).

2 comments:

Matt said...

Hey man. First of all, no blog war intended. We're each entitled to our opinions, and really, I think we probably agree on more of this stuff than we disagree on.

Excellent point about movies and concerts, I like that perspective. I also totally agree with the concluding paragraphs--if it's helping reach people, it's worth the money, if it isn't, don't spend it. Good post man, I like the title as well.

Ps: I hate that Elevation took that kid out. I definitely wouldn't have done that. But what's worse is saying they focus on worship instead of ministries. Yikes.

chandler said...

yeah man, the "blog war" comment was pretty much tongue in cheek. hopefully it's the closest i ever get to one, because i'd rather discuss things in person, but writing helps me organize my thoughts more clearly (at least in my mind they do.) and i think you're probably right that we agree on more than we disagree. and it's not something worth anybody getting too terribly bent out of shape over (the small stuff anyway).

i just know i have a way that i present myself at times that is easily misrepresentable, and this is the only venue i really have to kind of clear things up. so that's all i was trying to do - not really taking shots at anyone or anything. i just kinda wanted to clear the air about where i stand on things that you can't exactly sum up in 140 characters or less OR post on facebook where like the whole world sees it.

it's all good, man.